The APSA Departmental Services Program assists political science teaching, scholarship, and service by providing resources for department chairs; data and reports on the profession; forums for departments to address common issues; and services for chairs, faculty, and students. A list of all APSA member departments can be found here.
To become a departmental member, join now! Have questions? Contact APSA Membership Services at [email protected].
Department Chairs' Workshop & Luncheon
The Departmental Services Program holds several events at APSA annual meetings to support political science departments in their work. Department chairs are invited each year by the Departmental Services Program to a luncheon at the Annual Meeting where participants discuss current issues facing departments.
The 2019 Chairs' Workshop & Luncheon will take place on Friday, August 30, from 12:00 to 1:30pm in the Marriott Wardman Park, Room Washington 4. The subject of the workshop is Best Practices in Faculty Hiring and Recruitment. Panelists include Rosalee Clawson (Purdue University), Veronica Czastkiewicz (University of Colorado, Colorado Springs), Susan Orr (College at Brockport, SUNY), and Robin Turner (Butler University). Discussion will be led by Holley Tankersley of Coastal Carolina University.
RSVP here! All department chairs are welcome and are invited to bring a guest.
Political Science Club Guide
Political science clubs are a great way to get students involved in department activities and campus life. Such clubs offer benefits to students and departments by facilitating greater and more meaningful faculty-student engagement, and by providing opportunities for networking, professional development, and leadership experience. Find out more about how and why to start an undergraduate political science club in the APSA Political Science Club Guide.
Department Member Benefits!
The APSA Departmental Services Program is pleased to include the following benefits for department members:
- Resource Guide for Department Chairs: A resource guide with 30+ pages of links to articles and information for chairs of political science departments. Now available to member department chairs here.
- Virtual Campus Visits: On-demand webinars for departmental members and their faculty and students on a select range of topics, including: diversity and inclusion, research and data on the discipline, non-academic career paths for PhDs, media communications training for faculty, and more! Email us for more information.
- External Review Program for Tenure and Promotion: This new program will help member departments find external reviewers for tenure and promotion cases. If you would like to volunteer to serve as an external reviewer for tenure and promotion, please submit your information here.
- Department Profiles: Increase your department’s visibility! Have your department profiled on Political Science Now. Please submit your information here.
- Discount on the Department Chair journal: Department members qualify to receive 20% off this Wiley journal. Email [email protected] for the discount code.
- Meeting space at APSA Headquarters: Looking for meeting space in Washington, DC? Conference space at APSA headquarters is free for member departments (subject to availability). Email us with inquiries.
- Webinars for Department Chairs: Members are invited to participate in periodic webinars on a range of topics relevant to department chairs.
External Review Program for Department Assessment
An external review is a means by which a department assesses its current state and effectiveness, and develops goals and strategies to guide its future. This provides a unique opportunity for a department to consider the experience, expertise, and perspective of the academy at large through the engagement of outside participants who comprise the external review team.
As a resource for APSA departmental members seeking external review, the Departmental Services Program maintains a list of faculty who have volunteered to serve as reviewers. To request names of potential reviewers, please contact [email protected]. If you would like to volunteer as a reviewer, please submit your information here.