Research and Information Sharing
Engage and ConnectCareers and Professional DevelopmentFellowship, Grant, and Funding OpportunitiesAdvancing the DisciplineDiversity & InclusionInterdisciplinary MembershipsMember Savings and Discounts
Promoting scholarly research and information sharing are the cornerstones of APSA’s mission. The association plays a vital role in connecting members and helping to share information, skills, and expertise in the discipline. You can discover the latest developments in the field by taking advantage of our many resources.
- APSA Journals (member login required): APSA publishes four leading peer-reviewed political science journals:
• American Political Science Review
• Perspectives on Politics
• PS: Political Science & Politics
• Journal of Political Science Education
- JSTOR (member login required): For a $15 annual subscription rate, you have access to one of the most trusted online resources for information and knowledge. You are entitled to access to a vast digital archive of the following head titles:
• American Political Science Review
• PS: Political Science and Politics
• Proceedings of the American Political Science Association
• Perspectives on Politics
• Political Science Quarterly
• Proceedings of the Academy of Political Science
*Please note that JSTOR subscriptions are co-terminus with your APSA Membership.
- Member Bookshelf (member login required): Provides a selection of free books for members to download and use immediately.
- PS Now:The association’s companion website PS Now (politicalsciencenow.com) covers a wide range of topics of scholarly political science research through APSA journals and publications. PSNow also highlights the work and accomplishments of scholars, political scientists, and fellows who have been recognized within the APSA and other organizations across political science.
- Newsletter: monthly e-newsletter that delivers timely, topical, news and information on the activities of the association.
- Cambridge Digital Archive (member login required): Free access to all of APSA’s journals digital archive, from the 1900’s to the present.
- APSA Task Force Reports: These reports summarize work conducted by APSA task force committees, who seek to expand the public presence of political science by sharing the best political science research on important trends and issues of public concern with society at large
- APSA data on the profession: The APSA Research and Development department collects, aggregates, and shares data on the political science profession. Data on employment, degrees, enrollment, and curriculum are shared regularly.
APSA understands the importance of engaging and building connections within the discipline and offer members several opportunities to create and sustain lasting relationships.
- APSA Organized Sections: Membership in an organized section provides opportunities for APSA members to connect through shared interests within the discipline. Sections provide outlets for research and opportunities for scholarship. Organized sections are a vital part of the Association by sponsoring panels at the Annual Meeting, publishing specialist journals, producing informative newsletters, and recognizing scholarly achievements of their members.
- MyAPSA (member login required): Your online member profile provides access to your member benefits, recent purchases and receipts, and opportunities to join organized sections, update your contact information, and renew your membership.
- APSA Connect (member login required): The newly updated APSA Connect allows you to search for members in the directory, upload documents, and network with members through several forums.
- APSA Annual Meeting: The APSA Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of political scientists, with over 6,500 attendees. The Annual Meeting provides attendees with the unique opportunity to network with scholars and professionals from around the world. With over one thousand panels and events, attendees are able to present their research, receive feedback and constructive criticism from their peers, and gain insight to the latest research in their field.
- Teaching and Learning Conference: This unique conference which provides a highly interactive forum for scholars to share research and innovative tools for political science education. The conference focuses on promoting the scholarship of teaching and learning, equipping faculty with new techniques and resources for teaching, and enhancing the role of teaching in the discipline of political science.
- International Programs: APSA’s department of International Programs works to support and advance political science scholarship by promoting closer interaction between political scientists based in and outside the United States. The MENA and Africa workshops offer multi-year collaborations with early-career political scientists in the Arab Middle East, North Africa and sub-Saharan Africa to enhance scholarly networks and support political science research.
- Experts Database: APSA members can signup to be included in this program, which we use to respond to media requests for experts in all areas of political science.
- Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube
APSA is the leading resource for members looking for professional development resources and job opportunities in the field.
- eJobs (member login required): The most comprehensive database of jobs related to political science that is updated daily with new job listings and candidate resumes. The eJobs platform is fully searchable by field of interest, employer or candidate name, region, keyword, position, salary, institution type, and most recent posting. You can also save your searches and get daily, weekly, or monthly updates via email.
- eJobs Report: An analysis of the eJobs advertisements that are posted to the eJobs site.
- Career Resources: APSA offers a range of information on careers in political science for both graduate students and undergraduates, including booklets, brochures, annual meeting events, and online resources for grants, scholarships, and internships.
- Interview Services: This opportunity, provided at the Annual meeting, gives employers and job seekers an opportunity to conduct interviews onsite.
- Career Fair: APSA provides an opportunity for APSA members to connect with departments, institutions, and organizations for informational and informal discussions about jobs in political science, and other careers that draw on political science training, both on campus and in applied/non-academic settings.
- Dissertation Workshops: APSA hosts dissertation workshops each year at the Annual Meeting. These workshops provide an opportunity for small groups of graduate students to meet, discuss their research with peers, and get feedback from leading scholars in the field.
- Teaching Resources: Through APSA conference, journals, and websites, APSA provides a myriad of classroom resources for members, including syllabi, instructional webinars, pedagogy workshops, scholarship on teaching and learning, and more.
APSA runs a number of fellowship and grant programs to further the careers and research goals of its members.
- Congressional Fellowship Program: The Congressional Fellowship Program is a highly selective, nonpartisan program devoted to expanding knowledge and awareness of Congress. Since 1953, it has brought select political scientist and other professionals to Capitol Hill to experience Congress through fellowship placements on congressional staffs.
- The Centennial Center for Political Science and Public Affairs: The Centennial Center for Political Science and Public Affairs encourages individual research, writing, and facilitates collaboration among scholars. This center offers numerous opportunities for APSA members including the Pracademic Fellowship Program, the Kenneth Sherrill Prize, the William A. Steiger Fellowship, as well as the Centennial Center Visiting Scholar Program.
- Small Research Grant Program: The APSA Small Research Grant Program provides funding opportunities for research conducted by political scientists not employed at PhD-granting departments in the field, or who are in non-tenure track or contingent positions ineligible for departmental funding.
- Travel Grants: APSA travel grants are provided to eligible members to cover the costs of travel to APSA conferences.
- APSA Awards: Presented at the APSA Annual Meeting, APSA awards recognize the best dissertations, papers and articles, books and career achievements in research, teaching, and service to the discipline.
- Organized section awards: APSA organized sections present over 100 awards recognizing the best dissertations, papers, articles, books, and career achievement.
APSA works to ensure the continued success of the discipline through numerous advocacy and volunteer opportunities.
- Advocacy for Political Science: The APSA Advocacy Program advances the discipline of political science by educating policymakers and the public about political science and by supporting robust federal funding for political science research and teaching. The program shares news with APSA members and highlights opportunities for advocacy.
- APSA Council and Committees: Members have the opportunity to serve on several committees and the council to provide effective leadership and guidance.
- APSA Mentoring Program: APSA members are encouraged to share their expertise and experience through volunteering to be a mentor to students, scholars, and professionals who are seeking advice from within the discipline.
- Journal Reviewer: APSA members can volunteer to become a journal reviewer for one of APSA’s four journals, based on their fields of expertise.
APSA works to promote diversity and inclusion in political science through a number of programs. Recognizing the many differences— demographic, substantive, intellectual, pedagogical, methodological, and institutional, among others — and leveraging diversity is critical not only to the success of individual political scientists but to the strength and longevity of the disciplinary enterprise.
- Minority Fellowship Program: The Minority Fellows Program is a fellowship competition for individuals from underrepresented backgrounds applying to or in the early stages of doctoral programs in political science.
- Ralph Bunche Summer Institute: The Ralph Bunche Summer Institute encourages students to pursue academic careers in political science by enhancing writing, research, and analytical skills to increase competitiveness in the application and financial aid process for graduate school.
- Minority Student Recruitment Program: In collaboration with undergraduate and graduate political science departments, the Minority Student Recruitment Program identifies undergraduate students from under-represented backgrounds who show potential for or are interested in doctoral study. This recruitment information is shared with APSA member graduate departments that have enrolled in the program for their annual recruitment of doctoral students.
- Fund for Latino Scholarship: The Fund for Latino Scholarship encourages and supports the recruitment, retention and promotion of Latino/political scientists, especially students and tenure track junior faculty.
APSA members have the opportunity join any of our sister associations at the same time you join or renew your APSA membership. These joint memberships provide an opportunity for members with interest in related disciplines to join at discounted rates.
To supplement the APSA benefits that you gain with an individual membership, APSA has partnered with numerous companies to provide our members with increased savings.
- Receive a 20% discount off the price of all books published by the Cambridge University Press.
- Discounts on Car Rental Services: Current APSA members receive a 10% discount on car rentals booked through Alamo Rent A Car. Use Contract ID number 706768 at checkout to receive your discount.
- Annual Meeting discounted registration fees and hotel room rates
- Coupon Central: we clip and save your coupons in one place
- Office Depot/OfficeMax and other premier suppliers: APSA has partnered with Office Depot/OfficeMax and other premier suppliers to bring you significant savings on products and services you use every day:
*APSA Membership Refund Policy:
Membership may be cancelled by contacting the APSA membership department by e-mail at [email protected]
or by mail; however, APSA does not offer refunds for cancelled memberships.