The goal of the Committee on the Status of Contingent Faculty in the Profession is to bring attention to issues that impact contingent faculty in the discipline and to determine how APSA can best engage and support them.
Term expiring August 31, 2019
Catherine Guisan, Visiting Associate Professor, University of Minnesota, Chair
Peter Francia, Professor, East Carolina University
Julia Lau, Independent Researcher and Non-Resident Scholar, The George Washington University Sigur Center for Asian Studies
Term expiring August 31, 2020
Susan Orr, Associate Professor, SUNY, Brockport
Nathan Paxton, American University and staff, U.S. Senate
Term expiring August 31, 2021
Veronica Czastkiewicz, Lecturer, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs
Vincent Stine, Director of Government Affairs, American Association for Clinical Chemistry and Adjunct Professor, The George Washington University
Our committee is pursuing seven goals in 2018-2019:
- Organizing a committee panel for the 2019 APSA Annual Meeting in Washington, DC.
- Having completed a polling of contingent faculty in political science, the committee is proceeding to analyze results in a contribution to PS by Peter Francia, in collaboration with the East Carolina University Center for Survey Research. See the summary results of the survey here.
- The drafting of guidelines for an APSA “principled position” on the status of contingent faculty in the profession, which are being examined by the APSA Council.
- Contributing a Spotlight feature (8 short articles) in PS: Political Science and Politics, now featured in the July 2019 issue.
- Developing our connections with the other APSA status committees.
- Allocating financial resources for the committee’s current and future activities.
- Recruiting outstanding candidates for all vacancies on the committee.