The goal of the Committee on the Status of Contingent Faculty in the Profession is to bring attention to issues that impact contingent faculty in the discipline and to determine how APSA can best engage and support them.
Term expiring August 31, 2018
Peter Francia, East Carolina University
Patricia Stapleton, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Term expiring August 31, 2019
Catherine Guisan, University of Minnesota, Chair
Julia Lau, Independent Researcher
Term expiring August 31, 2020
Susan Orr, SUNY Brockport
Nathan Paxton, American University and staff, U.S. Senate
Term expiring August 31, 2021
Veronica Czastkiewicz, University of Colorado Colorado Springs
Our committee is pursuing six goals in 2017-2018
- Organizing our second panel at the APSA Annual meeting, Boston 2018.
- Establishing a list of contingent faculty in political science departments across the country, in collaboration with the East Carolina University Center for Survey Research. Once the list is completed a survey will be developed with help of APSA staff, and sent out to all names on the list.
- The drafting of guidelines for an APSA “principled position” on the status of contingent faculty in the profession, for submission to the APSA Council.
- Contributing Spotlight feature in PS, Political Science and Politics. See below for call and circulate widely. All proposals welcome.
- Developing our connections with the other APSA status committees.
- Allocating financial resources for the committee’s current and future activities.