Carey McWilliams Award
Nominations for the 2024 APSA Awards have now closed.
The McWilliams Award honors a major journalistic contribution to our understanding of politics.
The award is presented at the APSA Annual Meeting and carries a cash prize of $750. The award was established in honor of Dr. McWilliams’s intellectual forthrightness and political independence as a journalist.
- Eligibility: Self-nominations are accepted. Nominees do not have to be members of APSA, affiliated with an institution in the United States, or an American citizen in order to be considered for an award.
- Eligible candidates:
- should have a distinguished public service career in newspaper, magazine, or broadcast media;
- should, in his or her work, illumine some broad general principles of the social and political sciences;
- may have a background in editorial activities and not necessarily be a working journalist or writer, and
- should illumine certain key elements identified with McWilliams, which include intellectual forthrightness and political independence.