"Political Science in the Public Arena: Communication Strategies for Scholars" is APSA's new workshop series designed to assist political scientists in sharing their research with the public. These panel-length, half- or full-day workshops, held at political science conferences across the country, introduce the hows and whys of public engagement and discuss tools and tips for effective communication with the media, policymakers, and the public. Half-day workshops consist of a training session on the basics of public engagement followed by a panel discussion with political scientists who regular engage in the public arena. Full-day workshops include a general training session in the morning and afternoon classes devoted to specific aspects of engagement, such as writing op-eds, blogging, and briefing policymakers. APSA also sponsors sessions on specific aspects of public engagement, such as blogging or engaging with the media.
View sample workshop schedule here.
- New York State Political Science Association 2018 Annual Meeting
- APSA 2017 Annual Meeting
- New England Political Science Association 2017 Annual Meeting
- Western Political Science Association 2017 Annual Meeting
- Northeastern Political Science Association 2016 Annual Meeting
- APSA 2016 Annual Meeting
- Western Political Science Association 2016 Annual Meeting
- Southern Political Science Association 2016 Annual Meeting
Bring APSA communications training to your campus
If your department is interested in hosting a half-day workshop or other public engagement event on campus, please contact [email protected]. Departments are welcome to co-host with other departments on campus or to co-host with other political science departments in their area. Departments pay a small fee to host; discounted rates apply to APSA departmental members.