The Alabama Political Science Association (AlaPSA) developed out of a meeting of Alabama political scientists in 1972, and its first meeting occurred in 1973. AlaPSA celebrated its 40th Anniversary in the years 2012 and 2013, at both Auburn University and the University of Alabama. Meetings are held in late March or early April. The organization's purpose is:
- To encourage scientific investigation and research in the field of government, politics, and administration, with special reference to the state and local problems of Alabama;
- To encourage understanding of and improve instruction in political science and public administration;
- To develop collegian relations and cooperation among political scientists in Alabama and reach out to political scientists in the region;
- To establish and improve relations between political scientists and public officials;
- To facilitate a greater understanding of government and politics at all educational levels; and
- To uphold ethical standards and foster competence.