The APSA Departmental Services Program assists political science teaching, scholarship, and service by providing resources for department chairs; data and reports on the profession; forums for departments to address common issues; and services for chairs, faculty, and students. A list of all APSA member departments can be found here.
To become a departmental member, please visit our Departmental Membership Benefits page or contact [email protected].
New Department Member Benefits!
The APSA Departmental Services Program is pleased to offer the following new benefits for department members starting in the 2016-2017 academic year:
- Resource Guide for Department Chairs: A new resource guide with 30+ pages of links to articles and information for chairs of political science departments. Now available to member department chairs here.
- Virtual Campus Visits: On-demand webinars for departmental members and their faculty and students on a select range of topics, including: diversity and inclusion, research and data on the discipline, non-academic career paths for PhDs, media communications training for faculty, and more! Email us for more information.
- External Review Program for Tenure and Promotion: This new program will help member departments find external reviewers for tenure and promotion cases. If you would like to volunteer to serve as an external reviewer for tenure and promotion, please submit your information here.
- Department Profiles: Increase your department’s visibility! Have your department profiled on Political Science Now. Please submit your information here. We have also posted a list of all APSA member departments.
- Discount on the Department Chair journal: Department members qualify to receive 20% off this Wiley journal. Email [email protected] for the discount code.
- Meeting space at APSA Headquarters: Looking for meeting space in Washington, DC? Conference space at APSA headquarters is free for member departments (subject to availability). Email us with inquiries.
- Webinars for Department Chairs: Members are invited to participate in periodic webinars on a range of topics relevant to department chairs.
Please see below and also visit our membership page to see the full range of department benefits and to sign up for membership today.
Meetings and Workshops
The Departmental Services Program holds several events at APSA annual meetings to support political science departments in their work. Department chairs are invited each year by the Departmental Services Program to a luncheon at the Annual Meeting where participants discuss current issues facing departments.
2016 Annual Meeting Chairs Workshop & Luncheon
The 2016 workshop discussed department leadership strategies. Topics included: how best to identify, recruit, and retain faculty leaders at all levels of department administration; why leadership succession plans and recruitment strategies are important; how to prevent burnout; strategies for negotiating administrative leadership contracts; and balancing research, teaching, and administrative responsibilities.
Jobs & Careers in Political Science
eJobs: The eJobs platform is the most comprehensive database of jobs related to political science and is accessible to all members. The database is updated daily with new job listings and candidate resumes, and is fully searchable by field of interest, employer or candidate name, region, keyword, position, salary, institution type, and most recent postings. Departmental members gain free access to the eJobs platform and may post jobs at no additional charge.
Interview Service: APSA provides space for employers who have posted an eJobs listing to interview candidates at the annual meeting. The service is provided as a complimentary member benefit to Departmental Services members with posted eJobs. Please contact [email protected] with any questions.
Careers Resources: Resources aimed at undergraduate and graduate students are available through APSA. There are both online and printable materials available here.
External Review Program for Department Assessment
An external review is a means by which a department assesses its current state and effectiveness, and develops goals and strategies to guide its future. This provides a unique opportunity for a department to consider the experience, expertise, and perspective of the academy at large through the engagement of outside participants who comprise the external review team.
As a resource for APSA departmental members seeking external review, the Departmental Services Program maintains a list of faculty who have volunteered to serve as reviewers. To request names of potential reviewers, please contact [email protected]. If you would like to volunteer as a reviewer, please submit your information here.
Data and Reports on the Profession
APSA offers data and reports on various aspects of the profession. Visit our data on the profession page for information on employment, political science enrollments, majors, degrees, and more.
Important Membership Information
The yearly dues for APSA Departmental Memberships vary based on department type and number of faculty. Please see here to find out rates for yearly dues. Please note that APSA Departmental Memberships run yearly from July 1st to June 30th of the following year, and memberships cannot be prorated.
Becoming an APSA Departmental Member does not confer individual memberships to faculty or staff nor does it give individual access to any online individual member benefits. Faculty or staff can purchase individual memberships separately. Please see here for information on individual membership dues.
Have questions? Contact APSA Membership Services at [email protected].