The RBSI Legacy: 30 Years of Excellence
The RBSI program was created in 1986 through a partnership between APSA, the Committee on the Status of Blacks in the Profession, and faculty members Jewel L. Prestage of Southern University and Peter Zwick of Louisiana State University. The original program-- a summer program for African American students-- aimed to increase diversity within the discipline by introducing students to the graduate experience and to senior scholars in the discipline. In the following years, RBSI expanded to include students from underrepresented backgrounds, and students interested in broadening participation in political science and pursuing scholarship on issues affecting under-represented groups.
Thank you for joining us at the 2016 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia!
View the special RBSI 30th Anniversary Brochure.
For more information about the RBSI 30th Anniversary and Program Alumni, email us at [email protected].
To date there are over 500 RBSI Alumni. To mark the 30th anniversary APSA will highlight 30 program alumni who share their professional experiences and how the RBSI Program influenced their careers. Read the inspiring reflections below and learn more about the discipline-wide impact and legacy of the APSA RBSI Program.
RBSI Alumni Reflections on the RBSI Program and the 30th Anniversary
- Nikol Alexander-Floyd, Associate Professor, Rutgers University, RBSI Class of 1989
- Rebecca Bakre, Dir., The Baltimore Energy Challenge, Civic Works, RBSI Class of 2009
- Renata Barreto, Graduate Student, University of California, Berkeley, RBSI Class of 2012
- Nicole Bauer, Grad. Teaching Asst., University of Nebraska-Lincoln, RBSI Class of 2011
- Nadia Brown, Associate Professor, Purdue University, RBSI Class of 2003
- Nyron Crawford, Assistant Professor, Temple University, RBSI Class of 2007
- Yashica Crawford, Chief of Staff, Peralta Community College, RBSI Class of 2000
- Ivelisse Cuevas-Molina, Graduate Student, UMass Amherst, RBSI Class of 2006
- Elizabeth Davies, Grad Student, University of Chicago, RBSI Class of 2014
- Katrina Gamble, Political Consultant, RBSI Class of 1998
- Andra Gillespie, Associate Professor, Emory University, RBSI Class of 1998
- Rachel Gillum, Senior Director, RiceHadleyGates, RBSI Class of 2007
- Fatima Goss, Senior Vice President, Nat'l Women's Law Center, RBSI Class of 1997
- Mai Hassan, Postdoc & Assistant Professor, University of Michigan, RBSI Class of 2007
- Dirk Horn, Grad Student/Teaching Asst., University of California, Irvine, RBSI Class of 2011
- Muhammad Idris, Postdoc, PERFORM, RBSI Class of 2010
- Ashley Lagaron, Senior Applied Data Scientist, Civis Analytics, RBSI Class of 2009
- Chryl Laird, Assistant Professor, Saint Louis University, RBSI Class of 2004
- Phillip Logan, Graduate Student, Temple University, RBSI Class of 2013
- Tehama Lopez Bunyasi, Assistant Professor, George Mason Univ, RBSI Class of 2000
- Yalidy Matos, Presidential Postdoctoral Fellow, Brown University, RBSI Class of 2008
- Gabe Sanchez, Professor, University of New Mexico, RBSI Class of 2000
- Thomas Stewart, President, Patten University, RBSI Class of 1986
- Lisa Toland, Dean of Instruction, Piedmont Technical College, RBSI Class of 1986
- Dilara Kadriye Uskup, Joint doctoral candidate, University of Chicago
- Robert Velez, Graduate Assistant, Southern Illinois Univ, Carbondale, RBSI Class of 2008
- Devin Walker, Senior Equal Opportunity Professional, RBSI Class of 1987
- Sherri Wallace, Professor, University of Louisville, RBSI Class of 1988
- Vesla Weaver, Associate Professor, Yale University, RBSI Class of 2000
Stay tuned for more reflections from RBSI Alumni! If you are an RBSI Alumni and would like to share your reflections, APSA invites you to Share your RBSI Reflections! today. Email questions to [email protected]