Please note: Between July 1, 2017 and late August 2017, the mentoring program will not accept submissions as APSA prepares to re-launch the APSA Mentoring program with an updated structure. Please check back in late August 2017 to enroll and request a mentor. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Annalisa Dias-Mandoly, Program Coordinator for Diversity & Inclusion, or Dr. Kim Mealy, Senior Director of Diversity & Inclusion, [email protected]
How the APSA Mentor Program Works for Mentees
The APSA Mentoring Program will connect you to scholars and professionals who have volunteered to provide advice, support, and guidance on a wide range of topics within the political science profession.
The Mentor Matching Process
- Submit your form by clicking the button above: On the form, you can specify particular issues and fields of research, teaching, or professional interest for which you are seeking a mentor. Based on your request, APSA staff will match you with a mentor who best meets your mentoring needs.
- Once you submit your form, APSA staff works to identify a suitable match. This process can take some time depending on the availability of mentors who match with your requested factors.
- APSA will email you the contact information of a mentor from the volunteer mentor pool.
- You have 48 hours to contact the APSA mentor by email:
- When you receive your mentor's contact information, you should contact the mentor with your question(s).
- Mentors are volunteers and have agreed to respond to your contact, so please be sure to work out a schedule that is agreeable with both the mentor and the mentee.
- If you cannot make contact within the first 48 hours, reach out to your mentor as soon as possible to let them know and discuss the schedule and questions.
- If you do not make contact within the first 48 hours, APSA will assume that you are not interested in a mentor/mentee relationship and match your mentor with a new mentee.
- APSA staff will check in with you and your mentor about a month after the match has been made in order to assess the process.
A list of frequently asked questions can be found here.
Other Mentoring Resources
APSA has compiled a list of mentoring resources
for those seeking a mentor.