Howard Penniman Scholarships for Graduate Study are awarded annually to up to 5 members entering graduate school in political science in the upcoming academic year. Nominations must come from the chapter advisors, accompanied by an official application and supporting documents as specified in the program announcement. Nominations are due by May 1, and the winners are announced by June 15. Each scholarship is $2,000.
How to Nominate
Each chapter is invited to nominate one candidate for the scholarship. A completed application package should be submitted to the National Office by the candidate's Chapter Advisor, and must include three (3) copies of each of the following (one original and two photocopies are acceptable):
- Completed individual application form (see below)
- A statement by the candidate describing his or her involvement in the local chapter and related voluntary activities in the department and/or the university
- A statement by the candidate describing how graduate study in political science relates to his or her career goals
- Letter of nomination from the nominee's Chapter Advisor
- Letters of recommendation from (2) two other faculty members
- Official school transcript
- Passport-style, black and white photograph of the applicant, not larger than 2" X 3", suitable for publication in the Pi Sigma Alpha Newsletter.
Applications must by received by May 1. The recipients of the Graduate Scholarships will be announced by June 15. The scholarship funds will be transferred with proof of enrollment in graduate political science programs within the current year.
NOTE: Pi Sigma Alpha no longer offers scholarships for graduate students entering their second year of study.
Click here for the names of past Scholarship winners.