APSA established the Minority Student Recruitment Program (MSRP, formerly MID) to advance diversity in political science. In collaboration with undergraduate and graduate political science departments, the program identifies undergraduate students from under-represented backgrounds who show potential for or are interested in doctoral study, and shares this recruitment information with APSA member graduate departments that enroll in the program.
Fall 2016 MSRP Department Enrollment
Become a 2016-2017 APSA MSRP Recruiting Department:
Department officers in PhD departments - chairs and graduate directors - can enroll their departments in the APSA MSRP as a recruiting department.
- Login from the APSA homepage, by clicking the green “Log In” button.
- Once you have entered your username and password, click on the green “MY APSA” button at the top of the screen. You will be directed to your APSA user account.
- Under the right hand column labeled “Account Actions,” scroll down to the link for “Become MSRP Recruiting Department" and follow the instructions.
Please note, departmental enrollment is on a rolling basis throughout the year. However, we only mail the database twice - once in the Fall and once in the Spring. This year's Fall mailing will take place on September 30th, 2016. Enroll before then!
How Does MSRP Work?
APSA maintains a database of African-American, Latino/Latina, Native-American, and Asian-Pacific-American undergraduates who have been identified as possible candidates for graduate study in political science. These undergraduates can be identified by their departments, by their advisors, or submit their own names for the database. The database is updated periodically and made available to the nation's top graduate political science programs who are enrolled in the program for their annual recruitment of doctoral students.
See here for statistics on the students in last year's MSRP database.
For any questions or more detailed information about the program, contact [email protected] or Kimberly Mealy, Director of Diversity and Inclusion Programs, at [email protected].
MSRP Departmental Benefits:
Enroll Students in the MSRP Database:
- A link to your PhD program on the APSA website and sent to MSRP students
- Access to the MSRP database to recruit undergraduates to your PhD program
- Participation in the MSRP Best Practices meeting
Sophomore, junior, and senior minority students are eligible to participate in MSRP. Students may enroll themselves or ask their undergraduate advisor to submit their name and contact information. Faculty may enroll students they believe would be interested in learning more about doctoral study. Enroll yourself or a student through the MSRP online form