Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does it cost to join APSA?
See this rate sheet, all membership dues are paid annually.
2. What do I receive as a member?
APSA membership includes subscriptions to American Political Science Review, PS: Political Science & Politics, and Perspectives on Politics (for most member types). All members receive access to the online versions of all three journals, plus APSA's online job listings (eJobs), via myAPSA, our online member-only site. Members are also listed in the Directory of Members Online and can search Directory of Members Online and Directory of Department Chairpersons Online through myAPSA.
APSA membership also includes discounts on our Annual Meeting and publications, discounts on memberships in our sister associations through interdisciplinary membership, discounts on various scholarly publications through the Scholar Saver, and discounts on services through our various affiliation programs.
We also offer several other subscription-based services: membership in our 35 Organized Sections, some of which also include additional journal subscriptions, access to the archives of APSR, PS, Perspectives and several other selected political science journals through JSTOR, and a Premium Subscription to eJobs.
3. I just submitted an online application. How soon can I log on to myAPSA?
Your access to myAPSA will begin the immediately after your application is submitted. New members will receive a welcome email from Executive Director Michael Brintnall as soon as their membership has been processed by APSA staff. This process ususally takes a couple of days.
4. When will I get my journals?
You'll start receiving journals the month after you join. Members (other than family, associate, and high school faculty) receive one journal a month. PS comes out in January, April, July, and October. APSR is published in February, May, August, and November. Perspectives will arrive in March, June, September, and December. High school members only receive PS, Associate members receive only the journal they selected, and family members do not receive any paper journal subscriptions.
5. What if I'd rather start with a different month?
If you want your membership to start earlier (for instance, you join in February but want to receive the full volume year of all 3 APSA journals), just let the member services team know when you submit your application.
6. I was overseas and renewed 6 months late - what happens now?
Your membership expiration will be moved up and you will not receive back issues unless you specifically request them on your renewal form.
7. What is interdisciplinary membership? What would I get? How does it work?
Follow this link for full details.
8. What is an APSA Organized Section? What do I get if I join one?
Follow this link for full details.
9. What is eJobs?
Follow this link for more information.
10. My spouse/partner is a Student Member. Can I join as a Family Member?
No - family membership can only be used if your spouse or partner is a Professional or Life Member of APSA.
11. I just got something called the Scholar Saver. What is this?
The Scholar Saver is a joint project of APSA and the American Historical Association which provides offers of substantial discounts on books and periodicals in political science and history to our members.
12. What is the JSTOR subscription? Can I get access to all of JSTOR for only $25 a year?
Unfortunately, no, we weren't able to work out quite that good a deal with JSTOR. However, you will have access to the archives of APSR and PS, plus three other political science journals. The list is always changing as more societies choose to participate in the political science journals coalition project. Click here for an updated list.
13. I want to participate in the online resume bank. How do I upload my CV?
First, log on to myAPSA. Then click on the link to eJobs and click on the button to register and add your resume.
14. I'm going to be moving, and I want to make sure the APSA's journals catch up with me. When do I need to let you know my new address?
As soon as possible, since we can always wait to process your address change. But certainly no later than the beginning of the month before an issue is due out (for instance, to make sure an address change gets processed in time to redirect your August issue of APSR, you'd want to notify us by the beginning of July). Log on to myAPSA to report address changes.
15. I'm retiring and I'm thinking about donating my collection of APSR and PS. What are they worth for tax purposes?
Click here for a complete price chart.
16. I didn't receive my journal last month. What do I do?
Email the APSA member services team, or give us a call at 202.483.2512, and we'll send a replacement right away. If you're an international member, remember that it takes the journals about 3 weeks to reach you.
17. Now that I'm a member, how can I get more involved in APSA?
Click here for some ideas and suggestions.
18. I've heard that APSA's started a mentoring initiative. What's that all about?
We certainly have! Click here for more information or to participate.
19. More questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.