Founded in 1903, the American Political Science Association is the leading professional organization for the study of political science and serves more than 13,000 members in more than 80 countries. With a range of programs and services for individuals, departments, and institutions, APSA brings together political scientists from all fields of inquiry, regions, and occupational endeavors within and outside academe to deepen our understanding of politics, democracy, and citizenship throughout the world.
APSA focuses on the following core objectives:
- Promoting scholarly research and communication, domestically and internationally.
- Promoting high quality teaching and education about politics and government.
- Diversifying the profession and representing its diversity.
- Increasing academic and non-academic opportunities for members.
- Strengthening the professional environment for political science.
- Representing the professional interests of political scientists.
- Defending the legitimacy of scholarly research into politics and government.
- Recognizing outstanding work in the discipline.
- Encouraging the application of rigorous ethical and intellectual standards in the profession.
- Serving the public, including disseminating research and preparing citizens to be effective citizens and political participants.